A terrible loss

I have a post lined up about going on holiday, but before I go any further I’d like to complain about something. Today I went to the toilets at work, which we share with two other companies, and I had my Palm in my pocket. Sitting there I tapped about on the calendar and so on to pass the time, and when I washed my hands I put it down and forgot to take it back to the office with me. I later discovered that somebody had flushed it down the loo. What kind of person does that? It had actually been flushed, so it wasn’t embedded in anything, but I think it’s pretty screwed; water has gotten inside of the screen and that’s the most expensive bit to replace.

It’s not the damage so much though. Who the hell, on seeing a defenceless PDA that somebody has accidentally left somewhere, decides to put it in the loo? That is thoroughly inhuman behaviour. I bought this Palm over two years ago at Philadelphia Airport and it’s been there for me over the whole time. Apart from when the battery just died for no good reason and I had to send it to Texas. But in general it’s been one of my more durable gadgets, and deserved better than to be killed by some random toilet moron. I typed my NaNoWriMo novel on that Palm sitting in Manayunk pubs alone and unhappy. I played BeBop on it in long tedious meetings concerning shit that I didn’t care about. It’s only a PDA but it’s got history.

There are some strange people in that building. Let’s not even go into the issue of the phantom basin-pee-er. I blame the people on the floor below us; they’re some sort of design company and you know what designers are like. Mac-using perverts, the lot of them.

7 Comments

1. Persephone Said,

August 23, 2005 @ 3:16 am

That’s pretty weird. I am sorry for your loss.

2. OP Said,

August 23, 2005 @ 8:12 am

That is REALLY sick! I would worry more abut the person who did it than what he did – he needs treatment soon!

3. Wolfie Said,

August 23, 2005 @ 12:03 pm

I feel you loss. I’m a PPC user myself but since getting one three years ago I find it indispensable. Its a very strange thing to do to someone else’s property at the best of times, maybe in the pub or other public place (there’s now’t so strange a folk), but at work I find disturbing. It seems you have a rogue rat loose in the maze and you should be eyeing your colleagues suspiciously through slitted eyes. Who knows what they are capable of?

4. aussieintn Said,

August 23, 2005 @ 2:50 pm

Just be glad you didn’t leave a kitten or a small child…

5. fridgemagnet Said,

August 23, 2005 @ 3:12 pm

They float, though.

6. Social Smoker Said,

August 24, 2005 @ 4:31 pm

are you sure it didn’t just fall out of your pocket into the bog? That is the most common cause of cellphone loss.

7. fridgemagnet Said,

August 24, 2005 @ 4:34 pm

No, I remember putting it next to the sink when I was washing my hands, either on the loo roll dispenser or on the soap dispenser.

Today I was calculating trajectories to see if it could possibly have fallen in, but it would have had to be propelled upwards first; both of the above potential supporting objects are too far from the bowl.