Steve Jobs = Rosa Parks

On the Apple home page at the moment:

apple-rosaparks20051025.jpg (25K)

Cringeworthy, isn’t it? Poor bloody Rosa Parks. Her long history as an activist and the immense organised struggle of the civil rights movement has already been reinvented as one person’s naive and spontaneous action changing the world, because of course black people – particularly if they’re women as well – don’t achieve things through organisation and struggle.

And we don’t want people thinking they can make things better through activism, do we? That’s political, this is nice cuddly civil rights. Civil rights aren’t political, everybody supports them, we’d never do anything like those racists back then, that was a whole, uh, forty years ago, everything was different and we’re better. People might have needed to struggle back then but nowadays we don’t need activists. All we have today are troublemakers, what else could those scruffy protestors be now that we’ve fixed everything? (See also “Martin Luther King – Not A Communist At All”.)

As if that wasn’t enough she gets every self-important tit making the slightest challenge to the status quo comparing themselves to her, reaching an apex with Apple, above.

Apple. Apple. Don’t be wankers, Apple.

Edit: see the editor of Urban75′s version of this…

Edit 2 (19:48): they seem to have taken it down and replaced it with a big picture of a G5 instead.

8 Comments

1. Bloom Said,

October 28, 2005 @ 5:38 pm

Well said! And New Orleans has shown us that there is no need for equal/civil rights anymore!

2. Mordant C. Said,

October 28, 2005 @ 5:39 pm

See, this is why I need that deathray.

3. Rackletang Said,

October 28, 2005 @ 5:39 pm

Oy vey, that’s awful.

4. Old Pixie Said,

October 28, 2005 @ 7:29 pm

I’m more interested in what the white guy behind her was thinking.

5. Tim N. Said,

October 29, 2005 @ 5:25 am

looky, I’ve gone and made a little parody…

6. Tim N. Said,

October 29, 2005 @ 5:26 am

…and here it is! (sorry ’bout that, didn’t see that you could use image tags)

7. Gary LaPointe Said,

November 6, 2005 @ 8:01 pm

I didn’t think the Apple image was over the top and the reason I think that was I’m pretty sure they used exactly the same image years ago for the Think Different campaign. Same image but now with the dates on it, I was mostly okay with it. Millions of web sites put her image and dates up.

It’s not like they used her passing to lure you to the site. They aren’t going to make one more penny since they had her photo up where you going to anyways.

Now the local museum sent out an e-mailing to “Inspire your Classroom – Celebrate the Legacy of Rosa Parks” http://www.thehenryford.org/enews/eblasts/2005/rosaparks_educator/rosaparks.htm that bothered me a little bit more. And I’m not sure why. Maybe since a visit from me to the museum is going to make them money . But they were offering free resources on-line. So I’m not sure why…

Apple’s ad wasn’t to lure you to the site, it was just something you found once you got there. Maybe more of a tribute since it was actually taking the place of where they normally would be advertising something. They didn’t replace Rosa Parks with a G5, they replaced a product of theirs with RP.

Just my 2 cents.